TCE-based Degreaser: Shannon, Quebec contamination case nears end
Originally published on CBC News.
A class-action lawsuit launched by residents who claim they were sickened by ground water contamination near CFB Valcartier is finally winding down.
The residents of Shannon, Que., located a short distance from the military base, claim their health was harmed by exposure to trichloroethylene (TCE) and launched the multi-million dollar lawsuit against the federal government eight years ago.In December 2000, residents learned the chemical degreaser had been dumped decades earlier and had seeped into private wells near the base and the adjacent town.
Wells in some neighborhoods contained up to 180 times the level of TCE considered acceptable by Health Canada.
Lawyers representing 2,500 people say the chemical is toxic and people who breathed it in during hot showers, or drank it for years, did get sick.
Government officials told people in the area to stop drinking from their taps in 2000, but never made the link between the chemical and the cases of cancer.
David Lucas, the lawyer representing the federal government, said there’s no evidence to support it.
“They haven’t found any excess of cancer with respect to what science considers possible cancers that may be associated with TCE in Shannon,” he said….
Continue reading article here.